2007 Boys Match report V TullyCarnet




2007 B

Eryc hatrick as the Saint’s march on to a New Year victory

Game 14
Saturday 8th January 2022
St. Mary’s v Tullycarnet @ Hanwood (3G) 9.15 am kick off

Ref: Phil Collins
St. Mary’s 4–2 Tullycarnet

A new year, new opponents and a new venue for the Saints today.

A very early defensive mix-up saw us go behind when their striker capitalised on the error and slotted home in the first minute. 0-1 ⚽️

We were a bit shell shocked and found it difficult to settle on the ball or get in to any rhythm in the game.

Another early blow came when a 30 yard free kick was powerfully struck to the roof of the net on six minutes. Michael got a hand to it but the pace was too much. 0-2 ⚽️

We had to dig deep and get some momentum into our play and settle down. This is exactly what we did and bossed the next 20 minutes of the game.

We had some really good play in Tullycarnet’s half. Malachi had a decent strike saved but Eryc was on hand to score and reduce the deficit. 1-2 ⚽️ on 16 minutes.

Back and at it from the kick off the lads dug in and won the ball back. James had a run down the right hand side and won a throw-in that was powerfully taken by Aidan and suddenly Eryc had the ball in the net again to make it 2-2 ⚽️

An unbelievable goal mouth scramble left us baffled as to how we didn’t score again. Three of our players had the ball saved off the line in an almighty effort from the hosts.

We ended the half positively with a few more efforts going astray.

HT 2-2

Great to see Matthew back in action from his long term injury sustained in September. A long layoff indeed but he got in on the action today.

The play continued in our favour with a few long range free kicks which their keeper had a habit of saving but kept spilling the ball. The next free kick from Eryc was followed in by Malachi who got himself on the score sheet to make it 3-2 ⚽️

Eryc once again had a brilliant shot from open play from 25 yards out and bang in the centre of the net with the keeper well beaten. 4-2 ⚽️

The home side resorted to getting physical beyond the rules and made a few nasty challenges. Thankfully no-one got injured but it seemed the referee ‘against all odds’ 🙈 decided not to produce any cards.

The lads played right to the final whistle and got their just rewards with a fantastic victory after going behind so early.

FT 4-2

A great performance from all the lads today and a great way to start the New Year.

Well done to Eryc on another hatrick.

Really proud of the team today. Sure, ‘Just Another Day in Paradise’ 😊

Happy New Year to everyone


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *